Accounting for Departments or Divisions in MYOB
The Categories function in MYOB enables tracking and reporting all transactions according to divisions or departments.
Setting up the Category preference
- Go to the Setup menu and choose Preferences. The Preferences window appears.
- Select the System tab.
- Mark the Turn on Category Transaction checkbox
- Select Not Required on All Transactions if your purpose is to track only certain types of transactions.
- Go to the Lists menu and choose Categories. The Categories window appears.
- Complete the fields: Category ID e.g. 001, Category Name, Description.
- The Category assignment box appears on the bottom right-hand corner of invoices etc. once set up.
MYOB Jobs Management
- The Category reports are found in the Accounts view of the Index to Reports window.
- Activity Summary (Category)
- Activity Detail (Category)
- Category Transactions
- Profit and Loss (Category)
- Balance Sheet (Category)
- General Ledger - Category (Summary)
- General Ledger - Category (Detail)
- Category History (Office Link)
- Categories List
The "Jobs" facility in MYOB can be organised to track Income, Costs, Expenses and Net Profit/Loss.
Creating a new job
Processing Job transactions
- In the Lists Menu at the top click Jobs. A Jobs List window will be displayed.
- Click the New button. The Job Information window appears.
- Select the Header Job option.
- In the Job Number field, type e.g. 5000 and press TAB.
- Leave the Sub-job of field blank.
- In the Job Name field, type Name of Job
- In the Description field, type Description of Job
- In the Contact field, type the name of a contact on the Job
- The Percent Complete field indicates how far the job has progressed in percentages.
- In the Start Date field, type the start date. The Finish Date will be entered upon completion of the job.
- In the Manager field , type the name of the manager
- Click OK
- Create subheaders (Detail jobs) for the job such as e.g. 5100 - Materials , 5200 - Labour, 5300 - Extras.
Job Numbers can be added to line items to track income and expenses. A column for allocating job numbers is found in the following windows:
Entering Job Opening Balances
- Spend Money (Banking command centre)
- Receive Money (Banking command centre)
- All types of Sales Invoices (Sales command centre)
- All types of Purchase Invoices (Purchases command centre)
- Time Billing
Entering Job Budgets
- You can only enter opening balances for Detail jobs. Header jobs get their balances from the Detail jobs below them.
- Go to the Setup menu and choose Balances then Job Opening Balances
- In the Job Number field, click the search icon (down arrow), select job number and click Use Job
- Enter the balances for the job in the Opening Balance fields
- Click OK
- Open the Jobs List to view the opening balances for the job.
- Highlight the job number and click Budgets . The Job Budgets by Account window appears.
- Enter the budgets for the job in each account's budgets fields.
- Click OK